FOOD RULES/SAFE SNACKS FOR PARTIES
RULES FOR FOOD
Due to the many food allergies among our students, we must maintain the following rules for having food in school to ensure that all children enjoy in a safe environment:
- Students may only bring their lunches on the bus, and must keep their food within their lunch boxes while on the bus, preferably kept in their backpacks. Food for parties, etc. are PROHIBITED from the bus.
- Students must not share food with other students or trade food items. Please remind your child often.
- It is recommended that parents of students with food allergies work with the classroom teacher and nurse to keep safe snacks in the classroom provided by the parent as a backup.
- We encourage non-food celebrations that can be discussed with your child’s teacher. However, if food is being purchased for a birthday celebration, all purchases of food must be made through the cafeteria by contacting to make arrangements. Food that is purchased will be distributed by the assistants while the students are eating lunch in the cafeteria.
- Parties will be arranged by the class parent (coordinated by the PTO) in cooperation with the teacher. Any food items for class parties MUST be discussed with the classroom teacher or nurse in advance. The food items should be approved for all the students. Therefore, all students with food allergies must be included in the snack having been given parent approval. Or, the parent of the student with the food allergy must provide their child with a comparable snack so they may participate in the party.
- Teachers and parents must collaborate about the food being served. It is very important that the food is allergy free and all students participate.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation regarding this matter. Without these rules in place, we would be unable to have food included in celebrations here at school. Please be sure to adhere to these procedures.